Friday 18 September 2015

STORY ADAPTATION: SLEEPING BEAUTY

SLEEPING BEAUTY (REWRITTEN)




I walked out and took in a deep breath of fresh air. It's getting really stuffy in that little wooden cottage. I gazed up upon the mountains only to see my family's castle covered in treacherous vines that had grown in every corner. 


First, let me introduce myself. My name's Aurora and I am currently 16. I currently live with my step mother in one of my kingdom's cottages. I know what are your thoughts while reading this. Isn't Aurora suppose to be living happily ever after with a prince? No matter, you'll get up to speed soon enough. Anyways, ever heard of the famous tale of sleeping beauty? Of course you had but let me what tell you my version of what really happened to this kingdom. 


You see that castle on the peak of the mountain right there? It rightfully belongs to me and my family. What happened isn't some cliche about a damsel in distress waiting for her so called "true love's kiss". Believe me because if anyone knows it's got to be me. Someone from the neighboring kingdom probably came up with that cringe worthy plot. You see, rumors are like glitter, once it's thrown out there it's pretty much impossible to retrieve it back.

It all started when parents held a celebration for my birth and invited the entire kingdom along with every fairy in the land except for the said to be devilishly devious Maleficent. Everyone was having a blast until she decided to crash their party and confront the king and Queen, suggesting there must had made a mistake with the invitations as she had received none. 




Concerned of their reputations, the king and Queen allowed Maleficent to stay. 

Then, the fairies each begun giving the princess enchanting gifts. Maleficent thought to herself : the gift of beauty and song? How ridiculous. How far can physical appearance and having a good voice take you in life? I shall bestow upon her the greatest give of all- the ability to understand. As she stood up from her seat and made her way to the crib, she could feel every pair of eyes in the room boring into her back as they watched her cautiously. "I too shall bestow a give to the child-" before she could even finish her 

sentence she was interrupted. 



"Stop at once! I won't let you do her any harm. Your majesty, she was going to curse your daughter with death by a prick on the spinning wheel," yelled Merryweather- the youngest fairy who was said to be able to see the future. 

"My word. Guards, seize her at once," the king quickly ordered. 



Feeling misconceived and tired of her good intentions being falsely accused Maleficent finally snapped.


"The kingdom is to fall into a hundred years of slumber until one can learn to understand shall it be awaken," Maleficent said before putting everyone into a sleep like death. After a few moments, her actions finally sank in and realization overwhelmed her. "What have I done," she said before crumpling to the ground. 


"Magnificent, Maleficent! Everything went according as I planned. Thanks to you, I now have all the riches in the kingdom because I certainly couldn't had done it alone without your kind of power and sorcery," said the youngest fairy while emerging from the shadows before laughing wickedly. 


"Look at what you made me do," Maleficent yelled, while referring to the everyone lying motionlessly on the ground. 


" Oh, cheer up, will you? These people never even tried to understand you before taking you for things willy-nilly now did they?" said the youngest fairy while raising a delicate eyebrow. 


" Well no..." 


" Didn't they senselessly assume nasty things about you? Didn't they accuse you for being someone you're not? So why even defend them?" The youngest fairy smirked to herself knowing her persuasion was a success.


"You know what? Maybe you're right," caught up in hatred and anguish Maleficent decided not to undo her curse. 


"That's great. Now, if you'd excuse me. I have a lot collecting to do," the fairy said before flying off through the window. 


Maleficent walked over to the crib and lift the sleeping baby girl. With the wave of a finger the baby awakens. The baby looked up and gave Maleficent a wide grin which she then returned with one of her own. She did a hand motion to the orb on her staff and a series of flickering green lights were presented to the baby in which giggled bubbly in response. 




"Oh? What's that? You like these lights don't you? Hmm... Let's call you... Aurora," Maleficent said, smiling upon the baby "No need to fret child. I'll teach you to understand. You'll see,". 


That was it folks. The true version to the tale Sleeping Beauty, even though technically I didn't sleep all that much in the story. Maleficent is practically my step mother because she raised me but she won't have to if she hadn't put my biological parents to sleep for a hundred years. She told me I'll learn to understand and then only will I rejoice with my family and kingdom. These thoughts ran through my mind as I was making sure she is fast asleep. On the contrary, does she understand she's holding me against my will to be with my family? I sneaked out of the house.Does she understand how miserable it is to endure another day with her? I ran through the garden and unlocked the wooden gates Does she understand how to understand?

I don't know what lies ahead of me but I do know one thing. No she doesn't. And I make a run for it.

There's no turning back as I ran into the woods and away from my step mother. But that's a whole different story. 






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope y'all enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Ffn.
xYon










No comments:

Post a Comment